Thursday, February 18, 2010

Hit or Myth: The Lightning Thief

Greetings!
This past weekend my hubby and I went to see The Lightning Thief. I was fresh off of reading the book about a week before. I've been looking forward to seeing this movie for about five years. I was fortunate enough to have seen the author, Rick Riordan, as a guest speaker at a dinner. I was fasinated by the whole primise of a modern teen finding out that he was the son of Posidon the god of the sea.
Well, I loved the book -- I saw everything play out in my mind's eye. Well, the movie was "different". Chris Columbus did a very good job with setting up the plot at the start...even though the meeting of Zeus and Poseidon on the deck of the Empire State Building didn't happen that way in the book.
The movie can stand by its own merits, and is done well. It is sure to please its targeted audience of pre-teens and teens and it is pretty much family-friendly. The character, Grover, the satur, does get a bit "frisky" making eyes with the ladies, so it might be a bit PG-13 for some parents.
When it comes to comparing books and movies, its "apples and oranges". Books like the Lightning Thief have a hard time being confined to the restrictions given to the movie makers. Cuts and rearrangements become necessary. I was very disappointed that the character, Clarisse, seems to have been written out. As the daughter of Ares, god of war, she is a tough cookie and does factor in the later books of the series.
I do recommend this movie and hope that it and the upcoming Clash of the Titans will encourage and foster an interest in people picking up that dusty copy of mythology and seeing what treasures await them on Mount Olympus.

Here is a link to visit with the author, Rick Riordan:
www.rickriordan.com

Until the next chapter, be good!

No comments:

Post a Comment