Sunday, October 10, 2010

"Where are your scary books?"

I guess this was the natural follow up to my last entry about "princess books".

While I am on the topic of my last entry...mea clupa! I want to extend my apologies for not posting in a long while. I could list a million and one reasons, but the main reason is that I put the blog on the back burner. I'm new at this and now that the school year is underway, I will make it a priority to keep up with things on a more timely manner.

Now back to the "scary books". Seems like our students are more than a little taken with all things weird. With the new school year, there comes new purchase orders. What to buy? Humm...well we could be practical and strictly adhere to the curriculum and all that. No, there is a clamor for alien abductions, zombies and chupacabras - oh, my! Yes, you read correctly, chupacabras. They are the "goat suckers" from Mexican legend. Mrs. Higgins did indeed find a book that had some information about these beasties! Not bad given that I had to adhere to the Title I parameters! Oh, yes...look for it later this semester right next to a book about the Mothman.

What could kids possibly learn from reading this stuff. Do these things really exist? Why waste time and energy on things that go "bump in the night"? Most people are a combination of curious and liking a good scare now and then. If this is what it takes to get kids reading, then bravo! Reading about the Yeti will increase their vocabulary and make them geographically aware of the continent of Asia. Reading about La Llorona will give them a glimpse of what use to be oral tradition of storytelling. Our little X-File agents are not wasting their time, but expanding and entertaining the possibilities of the impossible and improbable. THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment